Does God really speak to us?

My friend Andrew is quite annoyed at people who claim that God spoke to them. "How dare anyone stake such a claim on the personal attention of the Almighty? Only great prophets of old heard God's voice from heaven. People today are only trying to justify their own convictions and desires, trying to give them credibility by saying that 'God told them' or that God called them"

I rarely meet a Christian who has actually heard a voice addressing them from heaven or from some corner of a room, announcing itself to be coming from God. When they do say that God spoke to them, they never go into details about how things really happened and how they knew it was a message addressed to them by God. I am not sure why I hardly ever ask for details. Maybe I don't wish to give an impression that I am doubting , since each person is entitled to believe what he wants about his own experience. Or perhaps I am more interested in hearing what God had to say.

Has God ever spoken to you? How did you know it was God? Does God necessarily use an audible voice or does He send messages through others, through His Word or through events that you witness? How then do you know that it isn't just your own conscience or a strong feeling about something - does it have to be God speaking?

On the other hand, if you doubt that God ever speaks, what do you make of the verse that tells us
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me” John 10:27 ESV
And why entertain the thought of praying/conversing with God if he doesn't talk back? Where will you get answers?How will you really know He was listening?

I read an article on the subject and I will share it with you:

God Speaks Today
By Martha Noebel
CBN Staff Writer

CBN.com -- God still speaks to the hearts and minds of His people today. Dr. Charles Stanley wrote of four reasons why in his book, How To Listen To God. They are:
1. He loves us just as much as He loved the people of the Old and New Testament days.

2. We need His definite and deliberate direction for our lives as did Joshua, Moses, Jacob, or Noah.

3. He knows we need the comfort and assurance just as much as did the believers of old.

4. He wants us to know Him.
Dr. Stanley shares that some of the ways God chooses to speak to us are ... Read More...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that God speaks to us.

Gee said...

Let me know some time about your own experience.Thanks for visiting my blog!