NONNAH'S




    Just as I had imagined. The Nonnah's experience did not disappoint. There isn't much that distracts me during my early-morning seven-mile walk each day. Some may wonder why I would choose to limit my options for daily exercise to the downtown area when just a drive away I could find more popular places designed especially for walkers. Well, the truth is that it was useful for me to explore the city when I first got here, and walking around before the morning traffic built up was a good way to do just that. My mind focused mostly on where I was going, but I kept an eye out for spots of interest I would want to visit at length, later on. That was the way I discovered most theatres, libraries, the University campus and the local Nickelodeon.

    One fine morning , I came across Nonnah's, right in the Vista area where beautiful people like to play. I couldn't help it. I stopped and pressed my nose against the glass windows, trying to get a better look at what appeared from outside to be an art gallery hung with paintings of such vibrant color, they beckoned to me, and the thrill of morning exercise was forgotten for a few minutes of pure joy like sunburst , as I gazed. "What in the world!" I gasped as,
on taking a longer look, I discovered pristine white cloth- covered tables around the rooms. This was no ordinary gallery, but a tea room of sorts, with what I later found out were paintings of local artists being featured along the walls. Brilliant idea, and though not original, the intimate setting captivated me, and it achieved first place on my "to-visit" list, that day.

    It wasn't until several months later that I got the chance to step inside with a friend. My mind was set on a glass of champagne to celebrate getting over my most recent hurdle in life, and Sue purposed to try out one of the scrumptious desserts for which I knew by then that Nonnah was famous. We were too early. The cafe opens at 5 p.m. There were only a few minutes to wait, but it only made us more eager as we imagined the pleasure that awaited us. For me, it would be the chance to examine the paintings at closer quarters and sit for a chat in that warm but refined setting.

    Our advantage that afternoon was that we were the first to arrive, and for a long while the only customers before the evening bustle. So, we not only got an opportunity to choose just the right table for us, but also got the full attention of the polite and friendly waiter. He told us all about the mutual arrangement between the artists and the owner who rented her wall space so they could showcase their work while she was guaranteed fabulous decor for her establishment. We entered by the left door. Lucky we were to make that choice, for apparently the right door is kept locked and there isn't any visible sign of warning. Some customers push against the right door, only to step back in puzzlement until someone signals or until they figure out which door is open.

    The first parlor is a traditional one with brick walls, leading at the side to another area like a large alcove with a bar, where the paintings are hung. This opened into a more well-lit seating area by the full glass windows, with a sofa and lounge seats at one end and small cozy tables for two at the other. I was delighted with my tour of the gallery and kept returning to my favorite - an artist who may have intended - but I am not sure - to debunk Picasso's genius by copying one of his famous pieces, adding a humorous twist and posing the cynical question "Did Picasso really like women?" But he could have just been having fun. Other of his paintings were clearly influenced by Van Gogh.

    Let's get to the menu. A most difficult choice for Sue. Cakes and pies more beautiful than the rooms where we sat, and with propositions like White Chocolate Ginger Cheesecake, Honey Walnut Tart, and Chocolate Raspberry Fantasy, it was a while before her mind was made up. We found the simple lunch and dinner menu just as tantalizing and I decided that it would be well worth another visit to sample one of the dishes.

    Nonnah's can clearly become a favorite spot for a romantic tete-tete or the right place for a small fun party.

No comments: